Easy Do’s and Don’ts to Prevent Burns
- Wear long sleeves and long pants when cooking.
- Use potholders, gloves and mitts. Never use wet materials as potholders.
- Adjust burner flames to cover only the bottom of the pan.
- Check hot food on stoves carefully.
- Avoid steam; it can burn. Open lids away from you.
- Use caution when removing items from the microwave.
- Wear sturdy footwear that can offer protection to your feet.
- Leave hot oil unattended.
- Lean over pots of boiling liquids.
- Spill water into hot oil.
- Allow pot handles or cooking utensils to stick out from the counter or stove front.
- Keep pot handles near burners.
- Use metal containers, foil or utensils in microwave ovens.